TOP TEN TIPS FOR LEADING A HEALTHY LIFESTYLE
- Make your every day chores more active. Take items of washing out one at a time or take a longer walking route than usual.
- Eat breakfast – eating breakfast kickstarts your metabolism and reduces the risk of snacking on high fat, high sugar foods mid-morning.
- Remember… 30 minutes of moderate physical activity (breathing somewhat harder than normal) 5 or more days per week is the recommended level to maintain a healthy Lifestyle.
- Choose an activity that you enjoy and be realistic with your goals and expectations. This will help you stay focused and motivated.
- Start any new activity steadily and build it up (Any activity is better than nothing).
- Use a smaller plate – that way, if you reduce the amount of food on your plate, your plate still looks full.
- Use a pedometer to increase they number of steps you take.
- Follow these guidelines for sensible drinking:
- One unit of alcohol is measured as 10ml/8g of pure alcohol. To find out the exact number of units per drink, here is a helpful sum: Strength (ABV) x Volume (ml) = No. of units)
- Men shouldn’t regularly drink more than three to four units a day.
- Women shouldn’t regularly drink more than two to three units a day.
- You shouldn’t drink alcohol for at least 48 hours after a heavy drinking session.
Remember: Drinking over the recommended amounts is not only bad for your health in general but it also means you’re likely to become overweight because of the extra calories in alcoholic drinks
- Keep a food diary every day. You may find that you are eating things that you were not aware of. Keeping a record of when and what you eat as well as the size of the portion and how you are feeling helps you to understand where changes can be made. Look in the “free stuff” section of the website for your own Food Diary template.
- Work with a friend who also wants to lose weight – you can keep each other supported/motivated and swap tips with each other.